Thursday, December 13, 2007

The one in which I go off on a rant

This is going to be one of those posts that I start off by reminding everyone that the opinions contained herein are solely my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, my family, my future spouse, my neighbors, yadda-yadda-yadda.

Because I have something to say about something that honks me off.

And I quote:

The state Senate this afternoon approved making New Jersey the first state in 40 years to abolish the death penalty.

The Senate voted 21-16 to approve the bill slated for a Thursday vote by the state Assembly, after the Assembly Law and Public Safety Committee voted 5-1 in favor of it today.

The measure would repeal the death penalty and replace it with mandatory life in prison without possibility of parole. If approved by the full Assembly, the bill goes to Gov. Jon Corzine, who has called the change a move in the "right direction." Corzine has until the lame duck legislative session ends on Jan. 8 to sign the bill.


This is the sort of reason why even I, a more-or-less staunch Democrat, can see why my party is usually portrayed as populated by left-wing, tree-hugging wimps.

Look, I don't think everybody convicted of murder should ride the lightning.

Some people could be rehabilitated. Some people could have justification. And heaven knows, sometimes some people are just plain innocent.

And then there's one of the fellows New Jersey's abolition of the death penalty will spare.

Jesse Timmendequas.

You remember him?

Among the death row inmates who would be spared is Jesse Timmendequas, a sex offender convicted of murdering 7-year-old Megan Kanka in 1994. That case sparked a New Jersey law requiring law enforcement agencies to notify the public about convicted sex offenders living in their communities. Other states soon followed suit.


Let's phrase that a different way:

Megan Kanka was so sweet, so innocent, so trusting. On a hot summer day in July, 7-year-old Megan Kanka decided that she wanted to play with her friend across the street. She told her mom exactly where she would be and her mom, without hesitation, gave her permission to go. Megan never made it to her friend's house. Jesse Timmendequas, a twice-convicted sex offender, got to her first. He lured Megan into his house with promises of a puppy. Megan loved puppies. On that day, July 29, 1994, Jesse Timmendequas, the monster, raped, beat, sodomized, and murdered the innocent child.


Let me get this right: A twice-convicted sex offender lured a little girl to her death by offering to show her a puppy.

Give me one good reason why we shouldn't give this guy two in the head, one in the heart.

("He doesn't have a heart" doesn't count.)

Seriously.

Somewhere I read that it's more expensive to execute a prisoner than to keep him alive for life without parole.

Bullets cost less than $1.50 each.

I'll tell you what, next time I'm in Trenton, I'll drop off a check.

I'll bet there's somebody over at the gun range at Hudson Farm who would do the job.

Hell, I'll bet there's somebody over at the gun range who'll loan me the gun. Let me repeat myself: A twice-convicted sex offender lured a 7-year-old girl into his house with a puppy, then raped and killed her. I'd grease that motherfucker myself. No remorse, no regret, no hesitation.

I'm still waiting for that good reason why this scumbag should live. The comment button's right down there.

But in my state, my party - the one I usually defend against my Republican best friend - is the one that somehow gets it in its collective head that the death penalty serves no good purpose.

Neither do sex offenders who escalate to murder.

It's no wonder I voted against Jon Corzine. Maybe I'll do it again.

Let me leave you with two last quotes:

The first is from state Sen. Shirley Turner, one of the leaders of the Democratic party in New Jersey and a sponsor of the bill. My party.

"The death penalty is barbaric and fatally flawed beyond repair."


The second is from Megan Kanka's parents, Richard and Maureen.

"If there is any individual that deserves the death penalty, it's the animal that did this to Megan. To abolish this would be an injustice to our family."


Really, which is more barbaric? To murder a murderer, or to murder a child? To give justice to grieving parents, or claim justice for the monster who brought them grief?

Shame on the senator who sponsored this bill. Shame on all the Legislators who voted for it. Shame on the governor who will sign it. And shame on the system for not finding a way to wipe this human stain off the face of the Earth as expediently as possible.

I'll tell you what: Let's compromise. And give him life without parole. In general population.

Sen. Turner? Gov. Corzine? My fellow Democrats? I mean it, the comment button's right down there. I'm waiting.

1 Comment:

Marisa L. S. said...

Some people just deserve death. I agree with you.

Google