Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Speaking of horror novels...

I went back to my NaNoWriMo novel today. Just to add a couple of sentences I thought of for no apparent reason while yawning my way through the commute home.

It was the first time I've gone back since I finished (victoriously!) in November.

I've got way too much to do, and I'd sort of told myself I was putting "Throne of the Living Dead" ("A high-firepower melodrama in 50 parts...") on the shelf for six months or so while I got some other projects done, and then I'd go back to it...

Maybe even to try and write another 50,000 words next November (I'd have to change the number in the subtitle, I suppose). I don't know quite how I'd format it so I wouldn't cheat on the NaNo word counter, but I sort of said "I'll burn that bridge when I come to it."

I mean, since it's episodic, I could just keep the new chapters in their own file.

But I get ahead of myself. I just wrote about 35 words tonight.

I was thinking, more fantasizing, that I'd see how much it would cost to get the thing vanity-published, just for kicks - my buddy Renaldo, author of the now-defunct Ron's Modern Life and professional LFH satirist - managed to put his up on some site where you can buy a copy of his '05 NaNoWriMo novel for $99 or something like that.

Maybe I'll Google my way into finding out more.

Be kind of fun. I mean, I suppose the writer in me thinks I should try to get a real publisher first, but the writer in me also sort of acknowledges that no real publisher is going to go for this bad boy without some serious, SERIOUS work.

But it did become a labor of love. And maybe I will start posting episodes here. Just for you. Well, and me... and my little fantasy world where the whole thing sound as good when someone else reads it as it does when I do.

Addendum!
To be fair, I should probably hype Renaldo's novel, "Tales of the Sea Vampire," which is available via Lulu for the low, low price of $99 per paperback copy.

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

You should check out lulu.com
I think that is the way to do vanity publishing on the cheap.

Lesley said...

I've heard good things about this one and their prices seem reasonable: http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook

jin said...

OOOohhhhhh!!!!
I'll read it!
I'll read it!
Does it have zombies in???
;-)

Google