Saturday, March 18, 2006

One man's misfortune is another's furniture

I was out running errands today, when I noticed some of those little signs businesses post alongside the road that advertise blowout sales - usually going out of business sales.

This one was for my local OfficeMax.

And I needed a filing cabinet.

You may have also heard me lament my overflowing bookshelves.

So I wandered up to OfficeMax and discovered it was in its death throes, with sale prices ranging from 20 percent to 40 percent off.

So I got two bookshelves, two media centers (so I can take my DVDs out of some bookshelves) and a filing cabinet for about $260 - roughly 25-30 percent off.

I would imagine a lot of employees are trying to figure out what to do next. So I felt sort of guilty that I felt so happy.

I mean, I got a great deal. And everything fit in my hatchback, with some moving of seats, folding of seats, and moving of assorted car-crap.

Those of you who read my Raiderfans columns may have noticed I tend to subtitle them, "or, ..." a la "Dr. Strangelove."

I guess I could subtitle this one:

or, How I took advantage of OfficeMax's financial woes

(And yes, I've noticed I haven't put up any links lately. I just haven't seen any appropriate ones. So here.)

Links:
OfficeMax

2 Comments:

Stewie said...

Damn!

Pretty good deals, there.

I wish we had an office max around here so it would go out of business. :(

Unknown said...

Good deals! And good riddance to Office Max. I can't stand them, or Office Depot.

I wouldn't worry about the employees too much, they'll find jobs somewhere; and the ones who aren't kids will collect unemployment.

Google