Monday, June 12, 2006

The trouble with karma

I used to have a co-worker who took a certain amount of delight in pointing out mistakes in other newspapers. I've never been the type to gloat over this, preferring the "there but for the grace of God go I" approach.

I figure, if I keep my mouth shut, I won't jinx myself.

This is the kind of pessimistic attitude that may come from getting engaged without getting married, I realize. On the other hand, prudence is something of a virtue, isn't it?

Karma caught up with Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger today. Fortunately, it appears he'll be OK. Eventually.

Roethlisberger, for the uninitiated, responded to remarks about another NFL player's serious motorcycle accident a couple of years back (that, in the wake of an NBA player's even more serious motorcycle accident) by pointing out that not only does he cheerfully ride, he rides WITHOUT A HELMET.

He said he was a careful rider. I have no real reason to doubt him. He seems like a decent, down-to-earth sort. Not to mention the youngest Super Bowl-winning quarterback ever.

Still, in the face of varying criticism of his potentially dangerous hobby, not only did he say he would keep riding, helmetless, as a defense, he cited a change in Pennsylvania law that made riding helmetless legal.

Of course, when Mr. Careful's bike collided with a car in Pittsburgh today, what happened? He busted his freakin' head.

It's not funny. I'm not laughing so much as wincing. I mean, broken nose, broken jaw, busted teeth, major surgery... I'm glad the guy didn't die. Clearly, bouncing one's unhelmeted head off a windshield (as reported in the media) can't be fun.

Forget that he may have ruined his season, or career (at age 24), and may therefore have ruined his entire team's season. He's lucky to be alive.

But the whole thing sure does make me shake my head and think, karma can be a real bitch sometimes, huh?

Link:
The latest update on "Big Ben"

And yes, the cynic in me wonders if he'll keep riding without a helmet, spouting cliches about getting back on the horse (bike) and so on. If he does, and he wrecks again, I suspect I won't feel nearly as sorry for him as I do today.

0 Comments:

Google